This olive oil mashed potatoes with kale post is sponsored by Potatoes USA, but all opinions are my own.
Which holiday sides are you making this year? I say, consider adding this superfood version of mashed potatoes to your menu!
This recipe for olive oil mashed potatoes w/ kale is a great addition to your holiday table because it features potatoes, a nutrient-dense vegetable that provides the energy, potassium, and vitamin C to fuel your celebration & fun.
Plus it can please many different types of eaters since it’s totally plant-based (vegan) + naturally gluten-free. And of course potatoes are a major crowd-pleaser because they are oh so satisfying.
But please don’t think you have to wait for a holiday to make this! It has just 6 ingredients and can easily be paired with salmon, chicken, or tempeh for a satisfying weeknight meal.
PS: I used russet potatoes, but you can also use yellow potatoes. If you were ever wondering which type of potato is best for your recipes, check out THIS infographic to help you choose.
OLIVE OIL MASHED POTATOES W/ KALE (makes 8 cups)
3 pounds white potatoes, russet or yellow
1 tablespoon sea salt + extra for seasoning
8 tablespoons olive oil, split
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 small bunch kale, leaves only & finely chopped (about 6 cups)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Wash potatoes, peel half of them, and cut all of them into 2” cubes.
2. Put cubes into a 5-quart pot, add cold water (enough to cover them) and salt, bring to a boil and then turn to a simmer, cooking for about 20 minutes, until tender.
3. While potatoes are cooking, in a skillet over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and garlic, cook for 1 minute. Then add kale and cook until wilted, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
4. When potatoes are tender, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the rest.
5. Right in the pot, mash or rice the potatoes with another 3 tablespoons olive oil and slowly add in some of the reserved cooking liquid to get to the consistency you want.
6. Add the cooked kale mixture to the potatoes and gently fold it in. Add salt to taste.
7. Put in a serving dish, drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.