This “quality calorie” cookie is vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, AND contains bone-building magnesium, anti-inflammatory fats & skin-boosting vitamin E. PS: It’s the most perfect after-meal treat since mint busts a craving. #SuperfoodSwap
10 minutes + baking time • Servings: Makes 12 small cookies Print Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1.5 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup raw almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 3 drops pure mint extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir flaxseed meal and water, let sit about 5 minutes until thickened/gel-like consistency.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flaxseed mixture, almond flour, coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and mint.
3. Use a 1-tablespoon measuring spoon to make tiny rounds. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Gently press them flat with the bottom of a small drinking glass so they look like cookies instead of mounds. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden on the bottom.
4. Allow cookies to cool and store them in an airtight container for up to five days or freeze for up to three months.
Nutritional Facts for Almond Mint Chocolate Cookies
Makes 12 small cookies
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Ooh, I love that the recipe is both vegan and low-carb! The Girl Scouts were in front of the market yesterday – I just donated the cost of a box of cookies rather than take home the temptation, and now, thanks to you, I can make my own thin mint cookie. Thanks!
Hehehe! I’m glad you are excited about this recipe! They are delish superfood cookies! xo
Can you use honey instead of maple syrup?
I am allergic to maple.
Yes! Absolutely! I LOVE honey! xx
Can I grind up whole almonds to make the almond flour? If so, any suggestions to make this easier?
Yes, you can pulse almonds into “flour” using a food processor or high-power blender. You can also just buy almond meal/flour already made if you’d rather.
Kara Ferguson says
What is the best substitute for almond flour?
You can use rolled oats & pulse them into a flour in the blender/food processor. xx
Can food grade peppermint essential be used like pure mint extract?
Yes! Food grade essential oils/peppermint oil is delish. It’s very strong. So just a little goes a long way.
Okay, I made these cookies and they don’t taste good! I hope to try other recipes and find some good “swap foods.”
Sorry you didn’t like the cookies! If the texture was off, it can be the TYPE/BRAND of almond flour. If you like chocolate, try these next time: https://dawnjacksonblatner.com/recipes/snowball-truffles/
I downloaded the superfood starter kit and printed it out. I would like to know where Treats such as these cookies or the freak shakes or other snacks fit into the plan. Is it part of the “three sectioned plate” or is it a snack? Or just extra?
Great question! MEALS (3/day) = 3-section, superswap ratio plate” + SNACKS (0-2/day when hungry) = produce + protein.
TREATS like this can occasionally be in place of a snack! Superswap TREATS are fabulously CRAP-free, but typically just aren’t as filling as usual protein + produce snacks so that’s why I say occasionally. 🙂
Omg thanks so much for replying!!!!! Honored to get a response from you personally! You’re awesome!