Love that this recipe is no-fuss, just toss everything in the blender. Unlike usual pancakes, these have zero white flour or white sugar. Chia seeds add a dose of plant protein and omega 3’s. Oh, and beets beat CRAP food coloring any day.
25 minutes • Servings: Makes 9 small pancakes (3 inch diameter). Print Recipe
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium beet (1/2 cup chopped), cooked + cooled
- 1 medium banana
1) Blend to make batter: In a blender or food processor, pulse oats until flour. Pulse in baking powder, chia seeds, salt, cinnamon, beet & banana for 1 minute, until smooth. Stir in milk. Let the batter sit for 15ish minutes so the chia has time to thicken it up. Note: Beets add a beautiful pink/red hue to this pancake batter but if you desire a more dramatic red pancake add 10-15 drops of natural food coloring.
2) Cook pancakes: Heat a 12” skillet over medium heat and add oil. Pour batter into nine small pancakes and cook for about 2 minutes and flip. You’ll know it’s time to flip because you’ll see bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes. Cook the other side about 2 more minutes, until golden. Note: Create cute heart-shaped pancakes with THIS mold.
Nutritional Facts for Heart Beet Pancakes
3 small pancakes
Makes 9 small pancakes (3 inch diameter).
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.