Try this vegan version of a crab cake. Incorporating the flavors of the sea, you will also benefit from the added vegetables! Serve with cocktail sauce or aioli.
Servings: 4 Print Recipe
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay™ seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup thin nori strips (using kitchen scissors, cut 2 nori sheets into quarters, stack, cut into threads)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup crushed brown rice crackers (about 16 rounds)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional: add dash of cayenne for spice)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Using a food processor, puree beans, lemon zest and juice, Old Bay, garlic and mustard until 75% smooth.
- Pulse in nori, onion, zucchini and celery.
- Stir in crushed crackers and form 8 cakes/patties (~1/4 cup each).
- Heat oil and paprika in skillet, brown sea cakes for 4 minutes on each side and sprinkle with salt.
- Store in air-tight container for 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- NOTE: Cakes make great party appetizers! Just form 16 mini-patties and brown on a griddle.
Nutritional Facts for Sea Cakes
Daily Value %*
* Daily Value % based on a 2000 calorie diet.