It’s my birthday week! 🎉 Perfect opportunity to do a WOW about aging.
I’m grateful for the opportunity to age since it means I’m alive & living!
But I’d definitely like to do what I can to age optimally.
How can we stay youthful & increase our lifespan?
One factor in aging optimally is…
🫐 🐟 🍊 🥬
Data from 1,995 participants was analyzed. It was found that 3 genetic aging markers improved when people had a…
Higher intake of:
⬆️ vegetables & fruits
⬆️ whole grains
⬆️ low-fat dairy
Lower intake of:
⬇️ red and processed meat
⬇️ sugar-sweetened drinks
“Better diet quality was associated with decelerated biological aging.”
1) Do a plate check before you eat to make sure each meal & snack has fruits/veggies in it.
2) Rinse & drain canned beans and keep them in the fridge to easily toss into salads or lunch bowls.
3) Enjoy nuts as a daily snack to get into the habit of eating them regularly.
4) Read the ingredient list for the words “whole grain” on bread, wraps, crackers, buns, pasta, etc.
5) Use the 5 + 20 rule for added sugar + sodium. Meaning: On a food label there are percentages listed for certain nutrients. When you see 5% that means “low”…20% means “high”…and anything in between is “moderate.” Aim to choose foods mostly in the “low” and “moderate” ranges for added sugar + sodium.
PS: AGING PHRASES TO CONSIDER DITCHING
– Anti-Aging. Against aging? What? It’s a privilege to age, the alternative is death. 🤷♀️
– Grow Old Gracefully. This implies a polite & quiet process. I prefer the idea of aging with strength, boldness, and joy! What about you? 🦄